Site Search

Historic Interest


(see also: Libraries & Museums) • For more sites visit the Liberty County Historical Commission.

Cleveland-Partlow Home
2131 Grand Avenue, Liberty.
Built in 1860 by Judge C.L. Cleveland, purchased in 1886 by W.S. Partlow and occupied by the Partlow family for 96 years the Cleveland-Partlow home is now owned by the Texas State Library and managed by the Libertad Chapter of the DAR. The house is a recorded Texas Historic Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The Historic Ott HotelOtt Hotel
305 Travis, Liberty 936.336.3832.
Opened in 1928, the Historic Ott Hotel was erected to accommodate the overflow of passengers from the T.N. & O. Railroad who were unable to obtain reservations at other nearby facilities. The interior has been restored to its original appearance, and the outside appears much as it did in 1928. Some famous names have stayed at the Historic Ott Hotel including John Wayne, Bob Wills, Roy Rogers & Dale Evans, Roy Acuff and the Playboys, and newscaster Dan Rather. The hotel has been certified as a "haunted property" with well over 50 paranormal investigations conducted on the premises. In 2006, the Historic Ott Hotel was designated a historical site, and is the last original functioning train depot hotel in the state of Texas. Tours are available by reservation.

Liberty Bell
1710 Sam Houston Avenue (Humphreys Cultural Center), Liberty.
The first exact replica of the original Philadelphia Liberty Bell hung in a special bell tower on the grounds of the Humphreys Cultural Center in Liberty. The bell was cast by White Chapel Bell Foundry in London to serve as a symbol of the Liberty Muscular Dystrophy Foundation. It was dedicated on the Courthouse Square in 1960 and rung sixteen times by the late actor John Wayne. The bell tower was erected in 1976 to celebrate America’s Bicentennial. Due to damage from Hurricane Ike in 2008, the tower had to be dismantled in early 2009. The bell is now on display in the lobby of the Humphreys Cultural Center while plans are underway to reconstruct a new tower.Liberty County Courthouse

Liberty County Courthouse
400 Travis (Courthouse Square) in downtown Liberty.
The last of seven courthouses built on this present site, the Liberty County Courthouse was ready for occupancy in October 1931, and officially christened as the seventh structure in February 1932. The building has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places, and the Texas Historical Commission regards it as “among Texas’ most well-kept historic courthouses”.

G.W. Pounds Home
South of Daisetta on FM 770.G.W. Pounds Home
Constructed in 1890, the Pounds home is maintained by the Historical Society of East Liberty County. It is usually open to the public during the Mayhaw Festival celebration in May, as well as the holiday season in December.